Facility Safety Program Mgr. (Relocation Available)
Company: Covanta Energy
Location: Crows Landing
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Join us in creating a sustainable future and becoming a
protector of tomorrow!
Facility Safety Program Manager I
Located at the Crows Landing, California facility, Covanta is
seeking an energetic, dedicated, versatile, self-motivated Safety
and Health professional with a solid track record of leading
implementation of safety and health programs in an operating
environment. We are looking for innovative and successful safety
and health candidates who are forward-thinking and progressive in
their approach to S&H Management Systems. Experience with
Leading Indicators is highly desired.
Now to the specifics of the role:
Reporting to the Facility Manager and the Area or Regional
Safety Manager, the Facility Safety Program Manager I (FSPM) will
have a varying range of responsibilities depending on the size and
complexity of the plant, number of employees and projects assigned.
The FSPM role will span strategic, tactical, and transformational
safety and health management activities. As the FSPM, you will be
responsible for overseeing regulatory compliance, training and
implementation of Covanta's safety policies, accident investigation
and documentation, OSHA VPP efforts, and management of the other
safety program initiatives. In addition to managing the facility's
safety program, the FSPM will oversee the employee training
program, and assist with the daily execution of the facility safety
and health activities.
The Facility Safety Program Manager I will also be called upon
to contribute to the broader facility management team and provide
leadership to process improvement and best practice deployment,
demonstrating the right values and behaviors with high emotional
intelligence in working with a disbursed stakeholder base, often on
critical schedule projects. You may be asked to help mentor or
assist other FSPMs at other locations or to help develop and
implement corporate initiatives.
Specific Areas of Responsibilities:
What you will do:
- Actively lead in the management of the facility's health and
safety programs, processes and policies.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to safety and health
- Monitor regulatory compliance, compliance with Covanta safety
program requirements, accident investigation and documentation,
OSHA VPP efforts, and safety training.
- Implement, motivate, educate and enforce Covanta's safety and
- Manage the safety training program and ensure training is
completed on applicable safety bulletins, memos, Safety Alerts,
safety and health procedures/programs, etc.
- With facility management, oversee contractor safety and health
performance. Ensure contractors are properly trained, use
appropriate tools and equipment and protect all employees from
- Continually monitor the performance and effectiveness of the
facility safety program and implement adjustments and improvement
- Manage all aspects of our safety reporting and maintain the
facility safety and health records.
- Actively monitor work safety in the field on a very frequent
basis. Conduct formal and informal safety reviews and follow-up
reporting. When necessary, stop potential unsafe behaviors in the
field when observed and coach employees on the proper method. Also
provide positive recognition for safe behaviors.
- Work with plant personnel to secure accident scenes when
appropriate, ensure the medical treatment of affected employee
and/or contract employee, and investigate near miss, first aid,
recordable injuries, on site vehicle incidents or incidents related
to plant vehicles, and general safety concerns. Assist/Coordinate
recommendations for corrective actions and track to completion.
Manage accident investigations, root cause analyses, and related
- Work with plant personnel and contractors to assure fire system
inspection, testing, and functionality.
- Primary contact with the plant's health clinic. Schedule annual
physical exams, hearing tests, and/or respirator evaluations.
- Contribute to improvements in lean, Six Sigma and other
quantitative and qualitative approaches to drive workplace process
Critical Skills and Abilities:
- Self-directed, action-oriented, forward-thinking and creative
individual with high ethical standards.
- Dynamic leader with a record of achieving results individually
and through others.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to provide
constructive feedback in a positive way.
- Strong analytical ability, good judgment and strong safety and
- Ability to work cross functionally with peers and other company
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently, and build
- Organized, team player who is an effective influencer.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change in the face of adversity;
to challenge the status quo constructively.
- Articulate, strong communicator, verbal and written.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Willing to work evenings and weekends on a non-routine basis if
needed to support facility operations.
- Able to stand or sit for sustained periods of time. Able to
climb stairs and ladders; Able to lift equipment that can weigh up
to 25 pounds on an infrequent basis. May need to wear personal
protective equipment including respiratory protection, fall
protection, safety boots, protective clothing, hearing protection,
Education and Experience:
- Candidate should have a Bachelor's Degree (ideally in a safety
and health or science-related area) coupled with 3-5 years Health &
Safety experience with a working knowledge of Cal/OSHA Regulations.
Direct relevant Safety & Health experience will be considered in
lieu of a degree.
- In addition to Occupational Health and Safety, desired
experience to include knowledge of operations and maintenance in an
The following functional competency levels are required for this
- Analytical Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Coaching & Influencing
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Accident investigation and corrective action development
- Experience in an operating environment
- Technical and skills training
- Safety and Health Audits / Assessments
- Contractor Safety and Health Management
- Written and oral communication
Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law
Poster (The poster can be found at
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's
experience or skills.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a
disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you
are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or
apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You
can request reasonable accommodations by contacting us at
Keywords: Covanta Energy, Modesto , Facility Safety Program Mgr. (Relocation Available), Other , Crows Landing, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!