Engineering Equipment Operator
Company: Department Of Agriculture
Posted on: May 3, 2021
This position serves as an operator of heavy equipment on
initial attack, fire and fuels management activities and operates
this equipment in support of other natural resource projects, is
located on a forest unit and is responsible for the operation of a
variety of heavy equipment for fire suppression activities.
Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled
and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found
on theForest Service website.
Learn more about this agency
- Operates engineering equipment, such as grades, tractors with
bulldozer or angledozer blades, front-end loaders, backhoes, trench
diggers and large industrial tractors.
- Operates engineering equipment on all types of terrains, close
to buildings, trees, drop offs, rocks or other obstructions and
- Excavates, backfills, grades or levels earth to rough
specifications on all types of terrain.
- Moves earth on mountains and steep slopes, graded curves and
shoulders, rocky or soft ground, hilly forests, and other similar
rough features to grade the earth to the general contour desired on
trails, roads, canals, tunnels or construction sites.
- Performs rough grading as well as fine surfacing on flat or
- Operates a variety of heavy equipment for fire suppression
- Has an understanding of fire behavior, fuels, weather and
topography to safely and effectively perform initial attack on
- Work is generally performed in steep, hilly, rocky and other
types of adverse terrain.
- Suppression activities may be under immediate supervision,
however, incumbent may be required to conduct suppression
- Adjusts equipment attachments for proper positioning and
working order, making adjustments without stopping the power unit
or the equipment.
- Steers and operates by using clutches, levers, brakes and
valves according to the slope or tilt.
- Transports heavy equipment to job site.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within
training and physical capabilities and other duties as
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required
for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective
Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background
investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to
have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check.
To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and
responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Initial appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of
- This is a Test Designated Position. You will be tested for
illegal drugs prior to appointment and randomly thereafter.
Appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative
- Must pass the Work Capacity Test for certain Interagency Fire
Program Management or Fire Program Management positions.
- Must possess and maintain a Valid Driver's License.
- Must possess and maintain a Commercial Driver's License
- Wiling to live/work in remote locations
- There may be additional Conditions of Employment not listed
here, however applicants will be notified of any specific
requirements at the time a tentative job offer is made.
- Under age 37; less than age 37 after subtracting the months of
Permanent Federal Service in a primary or secondary firefighter/law
enforcement position or a veteran preference eligible, older than
age 37 and is requesting a waiver to the requirement.
In order to qualify, you must meet the eligibility and
qualifications requirements as defined below by the closing date of
the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for
this position, visit the Office of Personnel Management's Federal
Wage System Qualifications Standards.
Primary firefighter positions include the following age
requirements: Under age 37 -OR- less than age 37 after subtracting
the months of Federal Service worked in a primary or secondary
firefighter/law enforcement position -OR- a veteran preference
eligible, older than age 37 and is requesting a waiver to the
maximum age requirement.
To receive consideration for this position, you must meet all
qualification requirements by the closing date of the
WORK CAPACITY TEST (WCT) for Wildland Firefighters: This
position participates in wildland firefighting activities. Based on
the type of work performed, TAKING and PASSING the WCT at the
MODERATE level is a "condition of employment". The moderate fitness
(Field) test requires completing a two (2) mile hike within thirty
(30) minutes, while carrying a twenty-five (25) pound pack.
FIREFIGHTER RETIREMENT COVERAGE: This is a primary/rigorous
position covered under the special retirement provisions of 5 USC
8336(c) for the Civil Service Retirement System and of 5 USC
8412(d) for the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including
volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace
Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification
Keywords: Department Of Agriculture, Modesto , Engineering Equipment Operator, Other , Sonora, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!